One week ago today Madeline spent the whole afternoon and evening in much pain...abdominal pain. It got so severe that she could not stay still and was squirmy and crying out in pain. When she went potty she would walk hunched over in pain. The last few weeks have not been completely normal as we look back on them. However, there were days we thought she was just fine. Our family has been sick so much this month that it's hard to know what is connected to sickness and what is not!!
So last Sunday evening at 6:30 pm Lynn and I we advised by an on call doctor to bring her to the ER. I was actually sick so Lynn brought Madeline in. I packed her bags with the serious thought in mind that she may be admitted into the hospital.
Madeline had lots of tests...xrays of her abdomin (plugged up intestines?), ultrasound (apendicitis or other), urine test (which after an hour of trying they had to hold her down and insert a catheder), and blood tests (three tries and finally wrapping her up like a burrito with one arm out worked).
NOTHING resulted from all of this. This was good to hear on the one hand but then...what was going on????? Throughout the evening in the hospital she got better and was fine to come home...at 1:30 am. She slept fine
So the last week has been back and forth...she is her normal self and then, "my tummy hurts." We know it really does too, even though Madeline is dramatic and not always very tough :-)
If you want to know more read on....Lynn and I spend probably hours talking about Madeline's BMs...crazy. The things you do and talk about for your children. We went to see our regular Dr. Poor Madeline was not excited about this. He brought up constipation once again and gave us things for her not to eat and to make sure and eat. Also, it may still be salmonella (we are waiting for test results) or some other big words.
We gave her some Shaklee Herb-Lax (which really does work and its safe) for a day and since then there had been a big turn around!!!!! Lynn and I believe this is what it was...constipation.
Oh my.....I guess I am thankful it wasn't anything serious, although it sure was scary. Madeline is so precious and I'd rather be sick than her. It is so good to see her recovering and I think actually better now.
We just pray that the Lord will give us wisdom to be parents in this and other situations. Praise the Lord for seeing us through this month of sickness.
Yikes! I have one who deals with this (not quite to the point you guys experienced), and as soon as I figured it out, I made prune juice a daily drink for all of my girls. Usually for lunch, they'll get their cup/tippie with half prune juice and half OJ or apple juice. We don't drink juice otherwise, but the prune juice is simply too effective. I also give them a probiotic daily. Good luck!
ReplyDelete